Tribune’s Downtown Christmas Open House
Join your friends and neighbors next Friday, November 22, for Tribune’s Christmas Open House. A full slate of festive, free activities is scheduled, sure to delight children and adults alike. Downtown stores will be open late for holiday shopping, the first clue for the Christmas Medallion hunt will be posted, and Christmas cheer will fill the air as community members enjoy free horse-drawn carriage rides, visits with Santa, a free children’s movie, and much more.
Christmas Gift Making for Kids, a Table Setting Contest, a Book Sale, and Refreshments. The Greeley County Library will host a gift making activity for kids from 5 – 6:30 p.m. The Library will also have a book sale and refreshments available. Note: Santa has moved across the street to First Farm Bank.
Free Horse-drawn Carriage Rides & Visits with Santa. Santa will visit with children from 5-7 p.m. and carriage rides will run from 5 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. departing from First Farm Bank, which is graciously sponsoring the carriage rides.
Free Children’s Movie – The Grinch (2018 Animated Version). Tribune’s Star Theater will show a free children’s movie at 6:30 p.m. and will provide a free pop and popcorn to all who attend. TBK Bank is graciously sponsoring the movie and snacks. Greeley County Schools National Honor Society (NHS) and Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) will operate the theater that evening.
VFW Soup & Pie Supper. VFW Post 7521 and the Ladies Auxiliary will host a soup and pie supper from 4:30 – 7 p.m. for a free-will donation.
VFW Craft Fair. Hosted by the VFW Auxiliary, the Christmas Fair invites crafters, merchants, and other displays to set up booths in the north half of the VFW. Booths are available and can be arranged by contacting Joyce Huddleston at (620) 376-8159. The Craft Fair will open its doors at 3 p.m.
Make-n-Take Ornaments, Yearbook Photo Booth, Face-Painting, Popcorn & Lemonade, and the Angel Tree. From 4-6:30 p.m., join Greeley County Recreation at the CYAT Center for a Make-N-Take Ornament craft. The Greeley County High School Yearbook Class will also host a photo booth, too. Greeley County Health Services will offer face-painting, popcorn, and lemonade from 4-6:30 p.m. at the CYAT Center. The Community Angel Tree will also be set up there.
Christmas Tree Lighting. At 6:15, gather around the tree between City Hall and Elliott Insurance for the official lighting of the Christmas Tree. Students from Greeley County Schools will perform Christmas songs.
Business Specials. Downtown businesses will be running specials, some throughout the day and some in the evening.
– Ashley’s Graphics will be open from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. with discounts on fall tees and a drawing.
– Dixon Drug will offer 20% off with free gift wrapping from 4-8 p.m. (some exclusions will apply.) Fine jewelry is 25-50% off.
– Farm Boys Tire & Service will have refreshments and a drawing from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
– Farmer’s Daughter Mercantile will have refreshments from 4-8 p.m. Customers are encouraged to post a selfie with a snowman in the store to get entered in a drawing.
– First FarmBank will be open from 5-7:30 p.m. with refreshments and drawings.
– Gooch’s Foods will be open from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. and shoppers can enter to win $100 in free groceries. They will host a Sip & Shop from 5-6 p.m.
–TBK Bank will offer a hot chocolate bar and cinnamon twists from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Those visiting can spin the wheel for a prize. Also, visit local businesses for a chance to win a $500 gift card from TBK Bank. The drawing will end on December 15.
– The Community Angel Tree will be set up at the CYAT Center.
– DJ’s Photography and Videographics & Tribune Toning will have $5 toning through November and December, but will not be open on Friday, November 22.
– Greeley County Community Development will host Christmas Open House Christmas Bingo, cookie decorating, and have refreshments from 5-8 p.m. Christmas Open House Bingo Cards will be available in participating businesses on November 22 and can be returned to any participating business before 10 a.m. on Monday, November 25. A drawing will be held for those cards that have Blackout Bingo and winners will receive local prizes.
-Shop Locally for Christmas Program: The Shop Locally for Christmas program will begin Friday, November 22, with the first drawing scheduled for Wednesday, November 27.
–Medallion Hunt. The first clue for the annual medallion hunt will be posted on Friday, November 22. Clues will come out weekly after that. Once found, the medallion must be turned in immediately to claim the $100 Greeley County Bucks prize.
If you have questions about an event or activity, please contact the organization in charge or Greeley County Community Development at (620) 376-2548.